Sunday, August 1, 2010

Off the beaten path

I've spent the last two weekends away from the traditional touristy events on my list, and enjoying time with friends in different parts of the city.

Last weekend I went swimming at a friend of a friend's house in Bethesda, and ate a yummy Bethesda bagel the next morning. I also went to a restaurant near Tenleytown called Comet Pizza and Ping-Pong. My friend Luke asked me if I wanted to go and I have a friend who works there, so I agreed to check it out before he mentioned the bands that were playing - his cousin's band from Columbus, and a band from Athens called the She Bears - which consists of a bunch of my friends from college and high school! So I was very excited to check it out.



(Image from DCbeer.com)

I was delighted with the place - while I was envisioning a cross between an arcade and a cheesy italian restaurant, the whole look of the place was retro and stylish, with some ping-pong thrown in for good measure.



(Image from New York Times Travel)

The food was great - I got a pizza with broccoli and a sunny side up egg on it, mostly for the novelty of an egg happening on pizza. But it was so good, I ate nearly all of it - and shared the band's mini-keg of some tasty beer. Since I sat with the band and they comped our table we got our food for free!

The show was also a great time, it was set in the little back room where most of the ping pong tables normally are. Between so many of my college friends in the audience and up on stage, I felt like I was back at school for an evening and had a great time.

I've got more to come from this weekend, but I thought I'd put together a fun little metro map of all the stops I've used on my trips around DC. I think I've done a pretty good job of doing a mix of touristy things and more authentic DC things - and there's still more to come before I go home!



(Click to make it full size)

1 comment:

  1. I love the map! Especially the purple and blue dots. And I'm totally jealous you got to hang out with friends from OU. Speaking of which, when are you and Annie going to come visit me? =P

    ReplyDelete