Sunday, June 20, 2010

Getting to DC

The remainder of my week at home was spent wrapping up odds and ends - seeing old friends, setting up new bank accounts, buying this and that. All of a sudden it was Thursday night, and I was packing up everything in sight to leave. After some shuffling of my bags to make space, we were off to DC early Friday morning. We made quite a few stops which put us a little behind schedule, but found ourselves at last at the River Inn in Foggy Bottom.

We had a great room - really big, with a kitchen and a living room separate from the bedroom.





That night we walked from the hotel to the dorm I'll be staying in for the summer and then to my internship's building to get our bearings on the area. We peeked into the lobby and museum as they were closing, and my mom said I looked like a kid on Christmas morning. I'm not sure exactly what I felt - I've been feeling really nervous and overwhelmed about starting a new job in a new place, but I finally think I really got that I would be working there and it felt really great.

Afterwards, we hopped on the metro and took a bus to Georgetown, where we did some shopping and ate dinner at a restaurant housed in an old fire station. The food was really good, and I think I'm lucky that Georgetown is so difficult to get to, or I'd want to go every few days.

The next morning, we headed to the Smithsonian and Mall area. I interviewed my mom about what we did, so you can watch her recaps:





In a nutshell, we did a lot of touring/sightseeing!



My mom (she's a CPA) outside the IRS building!




Ben at the Archives.



The family at the American History Museum!



Ben doing his best Abraham Lincoln impression, complete with stovepipe hat.


We went back to the hotel in hopes of cleaning up before we did dinner and a night tour (it's been in the mid 90's and very humid in DC), but after we sat down in our air - conditioned hotel we all decided roomservice and a movie were the way to go.

This morning we woke up and headed to the Eastern Market to buy some groceries and to scope it out, in case I wanted to go back. Despite the heat, we enjoyed the bread and pastry vendors, sorbet samples, and the weekend flea market made it a great time - I'll definitely go again.








We had lunch, went and stocked up on some other groceries, and then headed to campus to get me all checked in. Eric met us at my building to help move me in (thanks Eric!) and before I knew it, my room was mostly unpacked.

It was kind of hard to say goodbye to my family, since our mini-vacation has been a lot of fun, and it's been nice to have other people to help navigate and figure out what to do next. I'm sure once I get totally settled, start working, and hang out with my friends, it'll be like I've always been here. I start work tomorrow - wish me luck!

Also, if you're interested in getting a postcard from me, just email me your address at Edwards06@gmail.com - I'd love to send you something!

No comments:

Post a Comment