Thursday, July 1, 2010

In the news

Life in DC is definitely faster paced than what I'm used to. Sometimes I forget that I live in such a big city because I'm inside a lot, between working all day in a quiet office environment, and relaxing where I live. However, when I tried to walk out of my dorm early Wednesday morning, a crowd of fellow interns, students, and a police officer filled the lobby.

I soon realized I wouldn't be getting to work any time soon:



(Click here or on the photo to read the rest of the article.)

Authorities enacted something called "sheltering-in-place", which meant we weren't allowed to leave the building. Initially we were told it would be about an hour, so I grabbed my laptop and headed back to the lobby to wait, eager to get to work as soon as I could. I was nervous at first but was assured that any threat that might have actually been wasn't large or dangerous enough to affect me in the building, and that they were simply ensuring everyone's safety by keeping us contained.

After four hours of "sheltering", however, any fear definitely went out the window and was replaced with something more towards exasperation - but everyone stayed in good spirits, shared snacks, and broke the ice with fellow residents. I met interns that work for all sorts of organizations and government sectors, and even two who work where I do!

Additionally, everyone I spoke to from the area and people from work assured me that it's all part of life in DC. It's always better to be cautious.

On another, lighter news note, I'm a Top Chef fan, and this season is taking place in DC! The most recent episode was especially fun for me, because the guests tasting the chef's food were interns. I'm posting a little clip you can watch:



Hope everybody has a fun and safe 4th of July!

No comments:

Post a Comment